The United States-Indonesia Society, US Embassy and Association of the Indonesian Municipalities
cordially invite you to a Open Forum on
Building Local Government Accountability:
Perspectives from Local Governments Officials in the U.S. and Indonesia
Director of the Coconino County Legal Defender
Coconino County, Arizona
Mark S. Watson
City Manager, City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Planning and Development Director
City of Mount Dora, Florida
Project Manager Supervisor, Department of Public Works
City of Austin, Texas
Analyst for Local Economic and Revenue
Development and Cooperation Affairs
City of Yogyakarta
Manager Advocacy APEKSI
The decentralization of government functions to local levels has greatly increased both in Indonesia and the United States. Local governments are now responsible for delivering such vital public services as education, health care, law enforcement, water supply, and transportation. Concomitant with this greater responsibility is the increased need by local authorities to strive to govern accountably and transparently.
Building political accountability for local leaders is a challenge faced in both countries. This Open Forum brings together key U.S. and Indonesian local officials to discuss steps being taken such as:
- How can local government officials best serve their local communities and affect public policy?
- How can local government performance be measured?
- What are the existing regulations for local government accountability and how they are implemented in reality?
- What role does the community play in holding local leaders accountable?
- How can the central government support local measures to strengthen local transparency and accountability?
USINDO, in cooperation with the U.S. Embassy, APEKSI (Association of Indonesian Municipalities),and ICMA (International City/County Management Association) welcomes local government officials form both countries and a representative from APEKSI to discuss their perspectives on how local government accountability can be enhanced.
Please join us for this special event.
To RSVP, please click HERE.