2017 USINDO SUMMER STUDIES PROGRAM
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: March 31, 2017
Applications are now being accepted for USINDO’s Summer Studies Program.
USINDO runs a renowned intensive ten-week language and cultural studies program from May to August each year, and has done so for over 21 years. The program, held in Yogyakarta, is open to U.S. university juniors or seniors, currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program, as well as recent graduates (within 6 months) of any U.S. college or university. Participants are selected in a competitive application process.
This year’s Summer Studies program will begin on May 25 and end on August 3, 2017. In addition to the language course, the program also includes field trips, special lectures, cultural activities and a short volunteer work opportunity with local organizations in Yogyakarta.
Applications must be received by USINDO no later than March 31, 2017. Applicants will be notified of the decisions at the end of April 2017.
All of the following application documents must be submitted via email to
- Application form: Please submit a completed and signed application form, available here.
- Personal statement: Please submit a one (1) page personal statement describing your academic interests, career goals, interest in Indonesia, and how your participation in this program will enhance those interests and goals, as well as how your career might further the mission of the Society to promote more awareness of Indonesia in the United States.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume: Please submit a curriculum vitae or resume (not to exceed 10 pages).
- Academic transcript(s): Please submit the latest academic transcript from the educational institution where you are currently enrolled or recently graduated from.
- Letter of recommendation: One (1) recommendation letter is required. Recommenders must submit the letter of recommendation directly to email@example.com. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their applications are submitted on time. Only complete applications will be considered.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and university juniors or seniors, currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program. They may also be recent graduates (within 6 months) of any accredited U.S. college or university.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants will be judged by the clarity of communication in their personal statements and their demonstrated interest in Indonesia or in learning about Indonesia. A strong academic record is required as well as a demonstrated interest and success in learning languages. Previous foreign travel is desirable but not necessary. Stated career plans will be judged in part on the likelihood that such a career will involve communicating knowledge of Indonesia to a broader audience.
Applicants will be required to participate in all Summer Studies activities, including attendance at classes and taking a final examination. Participants will be required to sign a statement verifying this intention, as well as a release form, upon admission to the program. Participants should be available to depart from the United States with the group.
The program covers tuition, cultural activities, field trips, housing and board, airfare, student visas, and health insurance. Each student pays a fee of $2,000 toward these program costs, and the USINDO Summer Studies Program provides the substantial remainder of these program costs. All incidentals are the responsibility of the student.
USINDO purchases roundtrip air tickets to Yogyakarta for students from any city in the US. Travel arrangements are made by USINDO.
USINDO will process the student visas at the Embassy of Indonesia in Washington, DC.
Students MUST possess a passport that is valid at least until December 2017, AND must have at least four blank visa pages in their passport.
USINDO purchases international health insurance and will pay for the premium for each student for 4 months of coverage. Students will be responsible for any deductible payments.
Additional questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.232.1400.