Administered by the Education Division of the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in collaboration with The Center for Southeast Asian Studies at the University of Michigan
The governments of the Republic of Indonesia and the United States of America have made a commitment to strengthen their bilateral partnership in the area of higher education. This mutual partnership will be enhanced through understanding each other’s countries.
In response to the importance of promoting Indonesia into the broader U.S. community, the Education Attaché of the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Washington, DC in collaboration with the Center for Southeast Asian Studies at The University of Michigan offers this writing contest to promote Indonesia among American citizens.
This contest is an opportunity for anyone interested in Indonesia to win a week vacation in Indonesia. Three prizes will be awarded, two for the Indonesian language essay and one for the English language essay. Essays will be judged by a panel of experts drawn from U.S. universities and the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia.
To enter, submit the Entry form, essay, and official transcript (for students) to:
Reny Cordelia at the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia.
Please submit all documentation in .pdf format, with contestant’s name as document title.
Indonesia: Its Beauty, Diversity and Challenges
A. English Language essay
For students currently enrolled in an institute of higher education. It consists of two categories:
1. Undergraduate Student category
2. Graduate Student category
B. Indonesian Language essay
It consists of two categories
1. Non-student category (open for public)
2. Student Category (Students in higher education)
Prize:Three winners will receive a certificate from the Center for Southeast Asian Studies of the University of Michigan and a week’s vacation in Indonesia, arranged by the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia. The embassy will provide round trip transportation from the U.S to Indonesia and accommodations and transportation in Indonesia.
Timeline: Contest is open from September 6, 2011 to October 31, 2011. All entries must be received by midnight on October 31. The panel of judges will make their decision by November 4 and announcement of winners will be on November 7, 2011.
Selection: A panel of judges drawn from the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia and Indonesian language experts and instructors from U.S. universities will evaluate the essays. The panel of judges will evaluate the entries on the basis of literary quality and according to the below criteria.
• represent the writer’s best work
• meet acceptable standards in grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and usage.
• essay length is between 1,000 and 4,000 words
• indicate the approximate number of words on the first page of the entry, upper right corner.
• although not required, essays must include proper documentation if needed.
1. Winning essays will be published on the website of the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia and on the website of The Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Michigan
2. Only one entry per contestant.
3. Contestant must be U.S. citizens.
4. Entries must be accompanied by a fully completed entry form.
5. Entries will not be returned, nor critiqued.
6. All contestants should make and keep copies of their entries.
7. If the judges feel that no entry has sufficient merit, they may choose not to award prizes.
8. Decisions of the panel of judges are final.
9. The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia reserves the right to publish or broadcast the winning entries, in part or in whole, with proper acknowledgement to the author, without fee or permission of the author.
10. The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia reserves the right to give the winners’ contact details to the media, unless requested in writing not to.
11. Winners will travel to Washington, D.C. or another U.S. city, to be announced later, to receive their prize. Travel expenses will be borne by the Indonesian Embassy.