USINDO LEGISLATIVE PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM
Call for Application
From Indonesia’s DPR Expert Staff
Deadline: July 22, 2016
The United States-Indonesia Society (USINDO), in cooperation with the House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia (Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat-DPR) and the Foreign Affairs Committee and House Democracy Partnership of the U.S. House of Representatives is seeking qualified DPR expert staff to participate in the “USINDO Legislative Partnership Program.” This Program is intended to build capacity of DPR parliamentary expert staff members in substantive fields, exchange ideas and knowledge, and foster mutual understanding between Indonesian and American legislative staff.
The program consists of one week of concentrated exposure to U.S. Congressional practices for professional staff and committee management, comprehensive policy research, and multi stakeholder engagement, taking place from September 12 – 16, 2016 in Washington, D.C. The eight participants selected from DPR will attend meetings, discussions, and other events designed to provide a shared understanding of the U.S. legislative process and parliament engagement with relevant stakeholders. This year’s “USINDO Legislative Partnership Program” will focus on the key topics of finance, banking, national development, and trade and industry.
Three participants from the group will stay on for two additional weeks (September 18 – October 2, 2016) and pursue a legislative internship program on Capitol Hill as a “USINDO Fellow”. The USINDO Fellows will be expected to play a legislative assistant role in the Committee or Member’s Office and perform various tasks as assigned, including providing materials for bills’ deliberation, preparing speeches and researching key points for members of Congress, tracking relevant bills and issues, etc. Occasionally, they will need to engage with academics, private sector groups, media, Library of Congress, NGOs, and other relevant stakeholders.
– Officially listed as a DPR expert staff, and have more than five years of parliament and/or government-related work experience.
– Between the ages of 25-50.
– Plays a strategic role in their current position, and has leadership potential in parliament and/or government.
– Fluent in both written and oral English (min. equivalent of TOEFL 550) – please note there will be no translator/interpreter provided during the program.
– Has education and/or work experience specifically related to the themes of finance, banking, national development, and trade and industry. Only staff who are currently working on these issues will be considered for the 2016 program.
– Committed to a concentrated seven-day program, with written individual and group work assignments.
– Also interested and available for competing for selection for an additional two-week internship program in a U.S. Congressional Office.
– Has the approval from the head of the committee/fraksi/member of parliament that you are affiliated with.
Application Instructions and Deadline
The application is accessible through this LINK. Kindly note, we do not accept direct copy submissions.
Eligible candidates are required to submit the complete application form, one recommendation letter (preferably from your supervisor), and two writing samples to email@example.com by July 22, 2016 at the latest. In our admissions process, we give careful attention and consideration to each application. Please ensure that you provide detailed and thorough answers in your application. An incomplete or late submission will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and interviewed by the panel selection committee. The committee is chaired by USINDO and composed of a diverse mix of members from non-governmental organizations and from governments.
For more information and updates regarding the program, please visit our website at http://old.usindo.org/grants-fellowships/legislative-partnership-program/.
Should you have any further inquiries or questions, please contact Ms. Nanda Afriani at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (+6221) 39830061.